Thursday, November 12, 2009

Trading Post

Stepping back in time some before The Great Depression, and we get to The Westward Expansion as it was called in the History books.

Somewhere along the beaten trail, there would be a trading post. Trading post because there was not a lot of cash flowing. So what got traded? Everything. From furs and fabrics to flour and coffee. Everything had a value and could be traded for what was needed to press on.

How can we do that today? I doubt the local grocer would accept your first-edition family heirloom book in exchange for basic food stuffs, but that's not to say it can not be done.

Craigslist has a barter section (tread cautiously) and when you have community, you may have a source of trading. In today's times, services seem to be more marketable perhaps then stuff.

Pre-school moms have been trading babysitting since we lived in caves. But there are many other equitable trading solutions are out there.

I have traded accounting for: landscaping, home repairs, car repairs, computer work and some farm-fresh eggs.

This involves taking an inventory of your stuff and your skills. Some trades may involve a couple of layers. I had a serviceable washer and dryer, my client was selling a high end washer and dryer. My other friend needed a washer and dryer and only had $75. I sold her my washer and dryer for $75.00 and bought my friend's high end set for $150. Net to me $75.00. Everyone was very happy with the trade except Ken who had to move all these freakin' machines around. I am still using that dryer today!

So back to the inventory. What do you have in your family? I have a Red Cross Certified teen-age babysitter. I have no problem trading her skills to assist her in getting something on her list. That's the important element. Make a list of what you have and a separate list of what you want. Start checking with your community to see who might have what you want and strike up a deal.

Happy Cheapness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment