Thursday, March 25, 2010

Best Friends

Something this morning reminded me of a poignant story from Chey's youth. Chey had two "best" friends when she was elementary school age. Meg got her in trouble a lot but Dav was being raised with values more in sync to our family's.

I was trying to teach Chey that true best friends will help you to be a better person and not try to help you into trouble, but that was a tough concept for a 5 year old. Also, Chey felt very sorry for Meg who came from a terrible home situation.

So one day Meg helped Chey get into trouble again and Chey was punished. Later that week, we went to the mall with Dav and his mom. The big attraction for the kids at our local mall was a beautiful carousel. Chey LOVED it. We had lunch in the shadow of the carousel because it was in the center of the Food Court. At the end of the meal, Dav asked Chey if she wanted to ride the carousel. Chey looked at me with pleading eyes and I quietly shook my head no because it was part of her punishment.

"I can't Dav. I'm punished." was her sad reply to Dav's request.

"Ok, I'll wait to ride until you can ride too." And Dav slipped his little hand into Chey's as they skipped off in front of us.

So, today's question is, Who are your best friends? Do they help you stay on track? Or do they Lead you Into Temptation? Best friends will wait to ride until you can ride too.

Happy Cheapness!

No comments:

Post a Comment